Thursday, February 11, 2010

Funky, Fun Second Hand Store in Valencia



I admit that I am an absolute sucker for second hand stores and markets….I am really very happy to spend open-ended time surveying the contents of such stores – almost like a walking meditation for me as I get lost in thought, thinking about the old items I am touching, wondering about their history, and curious why they were discarded. I found a great store for my perusing - Rastrell Reciclatge - a fun and funky store right next door to the Museo de Bellas Artes (Museum of Fine Arts) in Valencia.

The store is run as a non-profit to create jobs and encourage reuse and recycling to minimize the environmental impact of trash. The store is filled with a variety of objects, from clothing and household items, to furniture, books, records, and collectibles. I found an amusing “erotic comic” entitled Tiburon (meaning shark in Spanish) dating from 1974 which meant it had been published while Spain was still under Franco’s rule. This was the mildest form of eroticism, if you could even call it that – involving a giant shark (Tiburon) – all I could see from flipping through the book was a scantily clothed woman in the jaws of the shark---well, whatever floats your boat as it were. 

It is definitely a fun store to paw through and explore. The Rastrell Reciclatge is directly opposite the Pont de Trinitat on Vuelta del Ruiseñor (in Spanish) – the street sign is in Valenciano so reads Volta del Rossinyal. The big landmark to look for is the large blue dome of the Museo de Bellas Artes. Rastrell Reciclatge, Vuelta del Ruiseñor 1, 46010 Valencia, Spain; Tel: 96 362 35 09; They have a second store at c/ Perez Galdos 89, 46008 near Angel Guimera; Web: www.ctv.es/USERS/rastrell; open Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 2:30pm/5:00 to 8:00 pm, Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Happy hunting.

No comments: